Our goal is to produce a brand that protects the investment that sheep breeders have made into facial eczema (FE) while providing greater clarity to the ram buyer in regard to facial eczema genetics.
- Promote breeders of elite FE-tolerant rams
- Raise awareness amongst ram buyers of the value of buying from ‘FE Gold’ breeders
- Establish and maintain a website containing information on FE and ‘FE Gold’ breeders
- Encourage other sheep breeders to work towards accreditation
- Produce an annual article promoting ‘FE Gold’ breeders, for publication in a farming magazine
- To breed healthier sheep stocks which will enhance the clean green reputation of New Zealand
Questions to ask your Ram Breeder
- How long have you being testing for FE?
- What dose rate are you testing at?
- Can I please see your Ramguard certificate?
- The important information is
- Number of years testing
- Dose rate
- Number of rams tested
The COSTS of facial eczema
If there was a decrease in scanning of 20% in a 2000 ewe flock this simple maths would suggest
- 400 less lambs at $80 each equates to a $32,000 loss
To read the full article by veterinarian Richard Atkinson about FE and what is costs sheep farmers click here
Russell Proffit (Chair)
07 877 8977 - 027 355 2927
09 233 3230
07 825 4925
07 883 4780 - 027 222 0247
07 882 8899
06 867 8097
Neville Amyes (Ramguard, AgResearch)
07 838 5421 - 029 838 5259
Like us on Facebook